- The guidelines to follow post treatment have been followed for years, and are still employed today to prevent the possible side effect of ptosis (drooping of the eyelids). These measures should minimize the possibility of ptosis.
- No straining, heavy lifting, vigorous exercise for 3-4 hours following treatment. It is now known that it takes the toxin approximately 2 hours to bind itself to the nerve to start its work, and because we do not want to increase circulation to that area to wash away the Botox® from where it was injected.
- Avoid manipulation of area for 3-4 hours following treatment. (For the same reasons listed above.) This includes not doing a facial, peel, or micro-dermabrasion after treatment with Botox®. A facial, peel, or micro-dermabrasion can be done in same appointment only if they are done before the Botox®.
- Facial exercises in the injected areas is recommended for 1-hour following treatment. This is to stimulate the binding of the toxin only to the localized area.
- It can take 2 -10 days to take full effect. It is recommended that the patient contact the office no later than 2 weeks after treatment if desired effect was not achieved and no sooner to give the toxin time to work.
- Makeup may be applied before leaving the office.